Made a video
A downloadable game for Windows and macOS
TORB is the ultimate game of physics-based swordplay! Like a puppet, the character's every move is tied to springs, joints and wheels that you trigger in simple, familiar ways to produce true free-form combat. Blades clash, slide and behave like real world physical objects!
There are no character animations in TORB. The fight is happening immediately in a virtual, but physically-grounded world. Each fight, each swing, each individual collision is completely unique and can always surprise you!
MASTER THE CRYSTAL BLADE! MASTER THE TORB!
- TRUE FREE-FORM COMBAT - Create your own techniques, styles and moves. Unique control system allows for first-time TORBers to jump in and have fun while giving cagey, battle-tested masters endless depth and possibilities.
- VERSUS - UP TO 4 PLAYER LOCAL MULTIPLAYER (Teams or free-for-all) - Dynamic, lightning-fast chess matches where opponents must react to each each other in split second real-time. Players look for actual, exploitable openings that dynamically emerge and then strike with zen-like immediacy. Great duels and team battles build to a fever pitch, and only mastery can determine the outcome!
- WAVES - UP TO 4 PLAYER CO-OP or SINGLE PLAYER - Face an ever-spawning Gorblyn army amid crumbling, crystal ruins. Explore the map, use your grapple to open doors and you may find hidden companions!
- DEATHBOWL - UP TO 4 PLAYER CO-OP or SINGLE PLAYER - Unhinged Gorblyn hordes eternally hurl themselves at you, and only razor wits and sharp teamwork can save you from the onslaught!
- SANDBOX -UP TO 4 PLAYER CO-OP or SINGLE PLAYER - With your mouse, create your own combat scenarios. Place dummies to test moves, create meditative exercises against AI, or stage ENORMOUS, GAME CRASHING BATTLES!
IMPORTANT NOTE! TORB is best played with a controller! It works with mouse/keyboard, but it has been designed for analog stick/trigger controllers.
TORB is a very old project that we have been playing with on and off for almost 6 years. We dusted it off for the FFS Jam because we knew it was special, but never quite got the shine and polish it deserved. Though a complete (and we think, pretty sweet!) game unto itself, we wanted to give players access to more options than we had time to add in-game. So we've put an .ini file next to the .exe with some deeper options for the game :
- Hide UI
- Control Rumble Strength - Xbox One controllers are much newer than our game's engine version, so they behave a bit strangely. In particular, some have unusually strong rumble in TORB. Lower this value if it's too nuts.
- Music Volume - Did you know our music is dynamic? As AI enemies spawn, their theme mixes fluidly with the other enemies' themes, forming a SYMPHONY OF DEATH.
- Gravity Scale - This can get nuts, but go for it.
- Shield Recharge Time - Turning this down really changes the game.
- Total Bops to win Free For All - Changes the target number of bops needed to win a TORBmatch when its every TORB for itself.
- Total Bops to win Free For All - Changes the target number of bops needed to win a TORBmatch when its TeamTORBs time. There I said it.
- KNOWN UNKNOWNS - TORB is an old project with lots of experimenting and tinkering under its hood. When you make a game about a crystal dimension of infinite, unique sword battles, you pay for it with some mysteries. To be honest, we don't really know all the crazy stuff that can happen in TORB. Its never lived out in the wild, so be prepared for some unpredictable things. Its a weird little game, but it loves to be played and its can always surprise you!
- STARTUP - Its so weird how it takes so long to get to that unity splash screen. Sorry.
- WEAPONS - The game is currently balanced for the main weapon, the CRYSTAL BLADE! However, you can try out some alternate weapons we have made over the years in SANDBOX mode. THESE WEAPONS ARE NOT AT ALL BALANCED AGAINST EACH OTHER.
- WAVES - That map is big, but it was made in less than a month, so sometimes enemies get stuck in strange crevasses! This is lousy because then you can't end the wave and you have to restart. Sorry, it bothers us too.
- WAVES - Sometimes a buddy gets stuck on a wall. If you've played waves, YOU'LL KNOW WHO WE MEAN. Use your grapple to un-stick them.
- WAVES (sigh) - Sometimes the gates are a bit hard to open. They are completely physical contraptions so they can be a bit unpredictable.
TORB created by Adrian Lopez-Mobilia and Jason Rosenstock
Music by Gabe Lopez-Mobilia
Massive 'THANK YOU' to everyone who encouraged us to keep working on TORB. Its a little game, but to us, its a really huge, personal project. Thank you for understanding that and helping to keep the TORB alive!
TORB heroes include:
Alex Thomas, Rusty Moyer, Julia Lopez-Mobilia, Evelyn Cecilia Lopez-Mobilia, Karina Bonin, Stephen Foster, Ali Chenitz , Michael Elder, Jeffrey Visgaitis, Nathan Swaney and anyone else who got roped into late night playtests over the years!
Special shout out to Nick Stohlman, Cameron Newman, Michael Garcia and the rest of the TORB enclave at Avalanche for lunchTORBING and pushing TORB to its limits!
For more TORB news follow us at: http://torb-game.blogspot.com/
Or join the TORB Discord!
|Updated||10 days ago|
|Published||22 days ago|
|Tags||3D, Co-op, Fantasy, ffsjam, Physics, Split Screen, Swords, torb, Versus|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller|
|Player count||1 - 4|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
making new tutorials on the finer points of TORB!
This is a very very fun game. So enjoyable and fun to play. It definatly deserves to make its way to steam. However, one thing that confuses me is how to play with friend in Local Multiplayer, I was not able to get two computers to play with eachother on the same Wifi. Please give me some insight on this. Overall this game is amazing and wonderful. I hope more is added to the game as it would make it even more fun.
Thanks so much for the kind words! Im sorry to say that this old TORB does not support LAN play. It can only be splitscreened. This version of TORB will probably not see too many updates. But stay tuned for news of future TORB, its an idea we are definelty hooked on.
how do you do split screen and get another player in
Hey Cool Mann! You need to have another controller plugged in, then at the player select screen (the screen after you pick a game mode) have the other player press A on their controller. Left and right and up and down select players color and symbol. If players have the same color in Versus Mode, they are on the same team. Team battles are fun, and if you get really good, you can fight three of your pals at once for a true trial by TORB!
Great game, thanks for the chance to play it! :) Unfortunately I couldn't find any of your active socials to share this to, hope you get plenty of coverage since this was a lot of fun!
Thanks for playing! Really enjoyed your video :) You can actually use the circle purple ball thing ("B" on the controller) to push dudes away that are close to you. Helps with those dang riders :D
thanks Alomo! :) Had a lot of fun playing your game! And thank you for the tip, definitely going to be playing again haha
If there is an adventure mode in this game, thats dope
Really enjoying Torb. i assume the beacon is just to show teammates where you are?\
this is really dang interesting man. unique.
Thanks! Glad you like it! Yes, the beascon is intended for finding buds. Its also pretty good for puctuating a victory in VS, or maybe initiating a duel, whatever you like!
Cool! If you ever need anyone for sound hit me up. i really liked the environment and think that my style would fit :) i didnt want to message you here but i couldnt find any way of contacting you otherwise.
This is just pure fun! It took a little bit for me to understand the controls and I don't think I even touched all of them, but the core combat is just so damn fun! I think my only wish is that I could choose my own weapon. But overall the game is really interesting in its combat mechanics, manages to get all information across with a cool low poly style and is unlike most games I've played before. Definitely worth playing! Great work!
Thanks man! This video is so amazing and surreal. We've never watched someone play TORB for this long, esp since I just finished that waves mode a few days ago! So glad you like it!
You can pick different weapons in the sandbox mode. If you pick the player from the sandbox menu on the right you can chose between hammer, bow, 2 swords, and saber. But beware, they aren't really as balanced as the good ol' Crystal Blade! Really, really encourage you to try out VS with some pals. Things get real.
this looks awesome, definitely giving it a try!
Update: I gave it a try, it's awesome.